Senior Quantity Surveyor
Stewart Milne Group (the Group) is one of the UK’s largest independent housebuilders. The business was established in Aberdeen in 1975 and currently consists of two regional Homes divisions (Homes Scotland and Homes North West England).
The Group has offices in Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Manchester, and Glasgow (Uddingston).
The Senior Quantity Surveyor will report to the Commercial Manager, providing support and advice across all aspects of the commercial role, and will have a good knowledge of the construction process. They should be able to communicate well and provide sound commercial advice and recommendations to the development team across all disciplines. The commercial team aims to maximise profitability whilst minimising risk.
- Coordinate and manage all financial activities of assigned developments, monitoring performance against contract programmes and reporting any issues to Contracts Managers and Directors.
- Build and maintain close working relationships with other disciplines within the organisation, particularly the finance, construction and technical teams.
- Take ownership to ensure customer enquiries are dealt with promptly.
- Manage and coordinate available resources to meet agreed targets.
- Be aware of current Health & Safety procedures and ensure they are always adhered to.
- Gain information from subcontractors and suppliers, including quotes, rates and payment details. Alongside CIS and insurance documents and negotiate competitive costs to present to the Commercial Manager.
- Prepare monthly contract review evaluation reports/schedules and cost flow forecasts for submission to the Commercial leadership team.
- Attend meetings related to the commercial team, pre-contract, design, site progress and others relevant to the role.
- Possess good negotiation and dispute resolution skills to minimise liability risk and resolve the conflict between drawn information, specifications and work on-site.
- Have a good understanding of contract law and apply this knowledge practically.
- Have a commercial approach which proactively identifies & regularly proposes savings within the business.
Essential Technical Expertise
- Financial and Commercial awareness
- Effective cost control
- Accurate and on-time reporting
- Excellent negotiation skills
- IT skills (Cost systems & Microsoft office)
- Work well as part of a team
- Work under own initiative with minimal supervision
- Have a comprehensive and current understanding of the building industry with specialisms in commercial departments
Salary and Benefits
Stewart Milne Group is proud to develop our employees, offering career development and promotion opportunities across the Group.
- Competitive Salary
- Generous Annual Leave (32 days)
- Life Assurance
- Private Health & Private Medical Insurance
- Bonus Scheme
- Pension Scheme
- Staff House Discount
- Flexible Benefits Package
If this sounds like the right step for your career, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note for recruitment agencies
Regarding candidate submissions from recruitment agencies or similar, Stewart Milne Group will only pay a fee upon placement where there is a written engagement in place between Stewart Milne Group’s HR Recruitment function, and the 3rd party before the CV submission. In the case of candidate(s) submitted or presented to Stewart Milne Group by a 3rd party without any such engagement, Stewart Milne Group explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.