Stewart Milne Group
The Stewart Milne Group provides innovative solutions for residential homes and commercial developments through our Homes and Timber Systems Divisions across the UK. We have a strong reputation for high quality and innovation, with a market leading position based on our expertise, quality, and customer service. We attract people who enjoy a solutions-focussed working environment, based on continuous, personal, and supportive leadership.
Stewart Milne Homes Scotland (SMHS)
The Homes Scotland business is expected to deliver in excess of 560 new homes and circa £150 million of turnover in the current financial year and a general upward rise beyond 650 homes over the next 3-5 years. Stewart Milne Homes has forged an award-winning reputation for crafting characterful and aspirational developments of the highest quality; only possible through a committed collaborative approach to engineering and architectural design. The Homes business is continually looking to recruit individuals who demonstrate the potential to thrive and add value within a creative and outcomes-focused working environment.
SMHS Technical & Design
Recognised as two distinct functions, each with its own set of accountabilities, but led by a guiding principle of ‘collaborative design’ and overseen by a single position on the Homes Scotland Board. The successful candidate will work within a clear Technical team structure but will be part of a highly capable, committed and multiple award-winning engineering and architectural (Design) team with a passion for creating highly successful and award-winning new home developments across Scotland.
Senior Engineer, SMHS Technical
The Senior Engineer plays a vital role at the heart of the team entrusted to deliver successful new homes developments of the highest level of design and place making, typically ranging between £10m-£15m and £50m-£75m in gross turnover.
This role can be based in any of our offices in Scotland; Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Tannochside (Glasgow).
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the success and growth of the Homes Scotland business with accountability for the timely procurement of key information, design and approval elements. This will involve:
- Liaison with and management of internal and external (consultants, local authorities, statutory bodies) stakeholders to identify and manage all necessary approval elements.
- Procurement of statutory technical approvals, including but not limited to Roads Construction Consent (and associated road bond procurement); surface water and foul Drainage Technical Approval, Water Technical Approval, in line with target timelines.
- Production of stage-appropriate engineering and roads / drainage / services infrastructure information packs for commercial appraisal, tender and construction outcomes; all in line with communicated ‘business plan’ project timelines.
- Oversight of key investigative works and preparation of a constraints information.
- NHBC Site Registration and clearance of pre-start Conditions.
- Provision of engineering design input into the CDM Pre-Construction Phase Health & Safety Plan to support the tendering and appointment of Civil & Ground Works contracts.
- Production of Land Use Plans to support marketing and conveyancing information.
- Provision of direct engineering support to live developments including regular visits.
- Oversight of Scottish Water vesting of drainage infrastructure and Local Authority adoption of roads infrastructure at the earliest practical opportunity following works / development completion.
Essential Technical Expertise
The individual should have a good understanding of residential development as well as the statutory processes for large construction projects. The candidate should be able to evidence strong interpersonal and management skills; preferably with experience of delivering through (management of) outside parties, e.g. consultants and local authority personnel.
The individual should be well organised, able to make decisions to allow projects to progress and flexible in who they work with and the type/stage of project they are involved in. Must be a team player; proficient in AutoCAD, Word and Excel and ideally experienced in infrastructure design software solutions such as PDS and Windes.
Desirable Technical Expertise
A working knowledge of Microsoft Project would be advantageous.
Salary and Benefits
Stewart Milne Group is proud to develop our employees, offering career development and promotion opportunities across the Group.
- Competitive Salary
- Bonus Scheme
- Generous Holiday Entitlement
- Life Assurance
- Company Car / Allowance
- Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Staff House Discount
- Flexible Benefits Package
If this sounds like the right step for your career, please apply via link or email email@example.com
Note for recruitment agencies
Regarding candidate submissions from recruitment agencies or similar, Stewart Milne Group will only pay a fee upon placement where there is a written engagement in place between Stewart Milne Group’s HR Recruitment function, and the 3rd party before the CV submission. In the case of candidate(s) submitted or presented to Stewart Milne Group by a 3rd party without any such engagement, Stewart Milne Group explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.