Manufacturing and Construction
Commercial Manager – North
The Stewart Milne Group provides innovative solutions for residential homes and commercial developments through our Homes and Timber Systems Divisions across the UK. We have a strong reputation for high quality and innovation, with a market leading position based on our expertise, quality, and customer service. We attract people who enjoy a solutions-focussed working environment, based on continuous, personal, and supportive leadership.
Our Timber Systems division is the UK’s leading designer and manufacturer of timber frame building solutions, specialising in off-site construction. We work on over 350 live projects per year, supporting customers on-site and building timber kits across our two bespoke factories in Westhill - Aberdeenshire, Witney - Oxfordshire and in an additional hub space in Grangemouth. We have regional offices in Aberdeenshire, Glasgow and Witney and the team operate across several sectors including, private housing, affordable housing, student accommodation, medical facilities, hotels, and education. Working with market-leading precision-engineered build systems, architects, surveyors and design teams, the division delivers noticeable benefits for our clients.
Reporting to the Head of Commercial, the Commercial Manager is a key member of our Senior Management team and has operational responsibility for the commercial administration of projects in their region. The Commercial Manager shall lead a team of Project Surveyors in that region and ensure collaborative working with other client facing disciplines from sales, construction and design.
The outputs are: mutually agreed contracts with clients, effective administration of invoices and payments with clients, agreed variations to contracts, reporting of cash and project margins.
- Proactively manage your team to ensure that contracts a negotiated and agreed in accordance with agreed risk parameters at that at all stages the customer is communicated with and remains informed of all commercial aspects of the project
- Support the generation of sales by feeding back into the estimate monthly cost report information and input into any tenders or contract negotiations
- Through a team of project surveyors who shall report to the Commercial Manager manage the monthly cycle of invoicing, variations, payments and notices with customers so that all cash and margin projects are achieved.
- Clearly identify any emerging contractual, financial and cashflow risk on each project through effective commercial dashboard information and close collaboration with your team & other relevant heads of department:
- ensure your team deliver accurate financial & project management information, on time, to you, the client and their colleagues in other departments
- ensure your team prepare and agree the final account to maximise the Division’s financial position
- ensure your team continue to develop and maintain accurate and up to date cost libraries
- ensure your team adhere to internal business process including QMS, EMS and H&S
- Report through the monthly cost meeting a financial variance analysis and undertake solutions to mitigate risks identified or maximise financial opportunities
- In conjunction with the construction department manage the appointment of subcontractors deliver commercial, contractual, financial and build programme, with emphasis on maximising revenue and profit generation in excess of tender targets
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with internal project teams and colleagues to maximise success of project delivery within your area of responsibility
- Recruit, motivate and continuously develop the required skills within your team to achieve business plan targets. Develop and control resource plans and implement in line with business plan needs
- Work with other senior members of the Commercial team on the business optimisation plan for continuous improvement on commercial, project management and customer management.
- Work with other management peers to manage, monitor and report the delivery of year 1 of every business plan
Essential Technical Expertise
- Evidence of ability to commercially manage £50k to £10m construction projects (in a sub-contracting capacity and / or Offsite manufacturing
- Quantity Surveying qualification (MRICS/Degree/HNC) or ability to demonstrate the required knowledge
- Advanced level of Microsoft office skills, particularly excel
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of standard, main and subcontractor conditions of contract
- Evidence of strong influencing and negotiation skills across all stakeholders, including excellent communication skills
- Construction Project Management knowledge, as well as surveying
- Understanding of Timber Frame construction methods, or willingness to learn quickly
Salary and Benefits
Stewart Milne Group is proud to develop our employees, offering career development and promotion opportunities across the Group.
- Competitive Salary
- Bonus Scheme
- Generous Holiday Entitlement
- Life Assurance
- Company Car / Allowance
- Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Staff House Discount
- Flexible Benefits Package
If this sounds like the right step for your career, please apply via link or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Note for recruitment agencies
Regarding candidate submissions from recruitment agencies or similar, Stewart Milne Group will only pay a fee upon placement where there is a written engagement in place between Stewart Milne Group’s HR Recruitment function, and the 3rd party before the CV submission. In the case of candidate(s) submitted or presented to Stewart Milne Group by a 3rd party without any such engagement, Stewart Milne Group explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.